The Garden Girl

My photo
Virginia, United States
Living - Life - Simply - I garden some, write a little, and enjoy sharing a view - feel free to leave a view of your own.

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Simply Poetry Meeting & Sunday's Poetry Offering

When I first began to write some poetry again after more than 20 years, give or take, I initially felt as if I were alone on a deserted island. But that wasn't the case, I just wasn't looking in the right place...or places!  What I found was amazing! From the tiniest towns and down a country mile or two come come these wonderfully talented poets and writers. One amazing poet lives just down the next road from me.  She is an educator, a mentor, and a woman who writes with such depth and clarity her poetry just blows me away. She adds a vibrant but warm ethnicity to her voice when she recites but admits it took a few public speaking classes and quite a few years of experience to find her own voice. With a collection of poetry that began as a child I believe when she feels she is ready to publish, people will want to hear her words.

Simply Poetry - I'm heading down to Rocky Mount this afternoon to attend a new poetry group. It's a bit of drive but I'm always excited to meet new
poets. I already know two of the poets from a poetry group that meets at the Blue Ridge Library. We've all emailed our poems which allows time to absorb the poem so there can be some honest critiques. I'm excited!

Sunday's Offering:  by Mary Etta Perry. Mary Etta Perry was born and raised in Okaloosa County, Fla. where she worked as a Registered Nurse from 1943 to 1993. She retired and moved to Brevard, N.C. where she began to write poetry.  This is from her collection of poetry called  "The Dance Goes On".

  Florida Autumn
Last night
autumn called on me
and left one golden
tallow tree,
one dozen
scarlet leaves
and three
chrysanthemums
for me.

She lingered
such a little while
I gave her only one brief smile
for the gracious gift
she brought to me
one gold and scarlet
tallow tree.

Mary Etta's poetry is inspiring. One admirer said "Spirit and emotion lives in
her poetry. She dares to let her soul show through, the lows as well as the highs."   Thank you, Mary Etta Perry...Dance On. 

2 comments:

  1. Is that the Blue Ridge Library in Bonsack you're talking about, or another one that I'm not aware of?

    I didn't realize you were so close. We must be neighbors, in that way of the country folk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, Poet's Corner poetry group meets there now and then. Great Folks! Sometimes we'll drive over to Buchanan and take the scenic route to Roanoke throught Botetourt..Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Followers